9.27.2006

Mini-breaks just got easier

The TSA is allowing liquids and gels in carry-on bags again!

You can bring whatever you want -- as long as it's in a 3-ounce container or smaller. All of you liquids and gels, lip glosses, mascaras and lotions, must fit in a quart-size ziplock. If you buy something after you go through security, like coffee, water, lotion, etc., you can bring it on the plane. Saline solution, eye drops, medication and personal lubricant (e.g. KY Jelly) can be carried on in 4-ounce containers, but still in your quart-sized bag.

I was the first person to say the old restrictions were ridiculous. I understand that liquids can be used to make explosives and I agree that we need more security to prevent terrorist attacks. However, a universal ban on all liquids and gels seemed illogical, and, as I discovered over the last two weekends and seven trips through security lines, the liquid ban was on the honor system. I made it through every time with at least three tubes of lip gloss, a travel-size bottle of contact solution and a full-size bottle of hair gel. These new restrictions seem to be something I can live with and might actually abide by...as long as I can fit all my lip gloss in a ziplock.

No comments: